September marks the beginning of ALA’s Fiscal Year. During the summer, the Board and a number of Committees began their work. The search for an ASCLA-RUSA Executive Director is nearing an end. The Search Committee interviewed four finalists for the Executive Director position on August 30-31. ALA will make an announcement in the near future.
The ASCLADirect.org website opened in early September. A huge THANK YOU goes to Jennifer Cross for her work. Everyone can use that site to navigate ASCLA. The site is a work in progress and will evolve as members help add content. Comments and requests for corrections can be sent to the ASCLA Web Presence Committee [mailto: [email protected]] use the subject “ASCLA site”. That committee is working with Jennifer Cross to make the site truly our own. Features of special interest include:
- News – All members and member groups will find it easy to share their projects and announcements in the News section by completing the “Get Your News Published” link in the Tools & Resources section
- Tools & Resources – Members, especially ASCLA chairs and leaders will find the Tools and Resources section helpful in scheduling telephone or Adobe Connect meetings as well as access Resource links and the Accessibility Tipsheets.
Several ASCLA Committees have begun work.
- Conference Planning Committee – Chairs Ray James and Lydia Collins and the committee are serving as the ASCLA jury to review the 2018 Annual Conference program proposals received by the September 5. ASCLA programs will be forwarded to ALA Conference planners.
- Membership Committee – Chair Lily Sacharow and the committee are continuing to work on a pilot mentoring program. They are developing guidelines and calls for mentors and mentees.
- Web Presence Committee – Chair Stephanie Irvin and the committee have worked with Jennifer Cross in testing the new ASCLADirect.
- Nominations Committee – Chair Rhonda Gould sent a call for nominations for the 2018 election of ASCLA officers and Board members. The committee will review and send a slate to ASCLA by the September 15 deadline.
Reminder that the ALA Midwinter Conference Registration opens on September 13. Requests for meeting space for Committees and Interest Groups that cannot meet at the ASCLA All Committee meeting are due September 15. Find the form in the ASCLADirect Tools & Resources section