ASCLA seeks an editor for our quarterly online membership newsletter, Interface. Interface serves as a source of information and communication between ASCLA and the library and user community and reaches approximately 1,000 members each quarter. Guided by ASCLA editorial policy, the editor is responsible for the content, format and timely online publication of Interface.
Applicants should have a strong overall knowledge of the association and its goals and have an interest in and knowledge of issues relevant to ASCLA members. Applicants must have written and published articles and/or have demonstrated editorial experience. Preferred applicants will have experience or familiarity with the technical and editorial issues associated with electronic and Web publishing and knowledge of emerging technologies in this publishing format.
The deadline to submit applications is January 31, 2018 with selection finalized after Midwinter 2018. Applicants should email a resume and cover letter summarizing editorial philosophy and reasons why they desire the position, a one-page plan for making Interface a “must-read” publication for ASCLA members, 2-4 writing samples and two letters of reference addressing qualifications to Jessica Hughes at [email protected]
Job Description: ASCLA Interface Editor
||Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA) Board
||2-year appointment, from the end of ALA Annual Conference through the Annual Conference two years later. The Editor is appointed by the ASCLA Board; the term is renewable upon approval of the Board. The Editor must be a member of ASCLA.
|Summary of Position
- Interface is the official newsletter of the ASCLA. It supports effective communication by reporting from the ASCLA leadership about decisions and directions of ASCLA, presenting emerging issues likely to affect ASCLA members, and disseminating substantive articles and special focus articles on people, activities, innovations and challenges of interest to ASCLA members. Interface will not attempt to duplicate the news, announcements, and schedules of events that are available on the ASCLA web site.
- Guided by the editorial policy approved by the ASCLA Board, the editor is responsible for the content, format, and timely publication of Interface. The editor prepares an annual plan for the quarterly issues.
- Establish the annual schedule in consultation with the ASCLA Executive Director and share content deadlines with the ASCLA President and members of the Board, committee chairs, interest group leaders, and staff.
- Seek articles that communicate ASCLA leadership decisions and directions, discuss emerging issues and trends likely to affect ASCLA members, share profiles or interviews with members, summarize projects and innovations from groups within ASCLA, and highlight resources or other reports appropriate to ASCLA
- Invite articles through personal invitation to key authors, Board, committees, interest groups, staff and through general announcement using the ASCLA listservs, ASCLA blog, and other communications as appropriate.
- Gather articles for quarterly publication. Send reminders or deadline notices before each quarterly issue.
- Edit articles for content, style, and correct grammatical usage, consulting with other experts as needed. ASCLA Board members and staff are always willing to provide advice and counsel in their areas of expertise.
- Working with ASCLA staff, prepare each issue’s articles for posting to the ASCLA website.
- Attend ASCLA Board meetings at ALA Annual Conference and Midwinter Meetings as non-voting ex-officio member to stay current on the issues of interest to ASCLA members.
- At ALA Conferences, attend as many interest group meetings, programs, and other ASCLA-related events as possible to identify potential authors and articles.
- Attend online Board and Executive Committee meetings as non-voting ex-officio member.
- In consultation with the ASCLA Board and ASCLA staff, periodically survey members to determine their satisfaction with Interface and elicit ideas for improvement.
||ASCLA contributes $1,000 per year to help offset the conference expenses of the Interface editor. In addition the Interface editor receives complimentary registration for both conferences and VIP early registration for hotels.